Friday 13 May 2011

Pelikan - Stockholm, Sweden



Another quick break from Vancouver...I start vocals on the record this week so I will be stockpiling some serious lunches now that I have control of the vehicle.

Last European tour I took a trip to Stockholm, which ended up being my favorite city from around the world (so far).  A city of luscious green islands connected to each other, loaded with buildings from the 13th & 14th centuries.  Never seen a mix of history and modern hipness quite like it.  The first thing I did when I got off the plane was ask where the best authentic Swedish food was.  They eyed me up and down and asked me how much I was willing to spend, and I said money was no object...they smiled and immediately knew where to direct me.

It took me some time to find it, but Pelikan lived up to their billing.  After walking in to the uniquely classic decor, you open the menu to read a story of the history of the restaurant and the origins of the home-style food you are about to eat.  I went cliche (on the recommendation of the waitress) and got Swedish meatballs.  They were huge, moist, and the gravy was a perfect match.  But the best part was been how well the lingonberries & dill pickle paired up with a big bite of meatball and mashed potatoes.  You could taste every flavor, and they all went so well together.  Then wash it down with some beer and start again...

No comments:

Post a Comment